Sunday, June 8, 2008

Glassblowing rocks my socks off

So here are some new pictures of stuff that I have made in glassblowing. There is a little room in B66 (thats where the sculpture and ceramics is) with lights and a tripod and a backdrop for shooting, so I took my camera in there and tried to make "professional" looking prints of my work. The files were pretty big, so I tried to winzip them. I hope you can unzip them on your end. Anyway, Here are the descriptions:

This is a little cup that I made a while back. Actually, I was making a big, red, eggplant-looking thing for a mobile and it broke. I took the broken pieces (which were red with lots of clear glass) and made a little cup. Yesterday, I welded the hand stand (get it?!) and patina-ed it with ferric nitrate (which also does interesting things when sprayed on glass.) The hand has this rusty, leprous sort of look, which I really like. From certain angles (008 and 019) it kind of looks like a sick sort of rose. Anyway, I like this piece. I think it turned out well.



This is a bicone vase that I made the other day. I took this white swirly stained glass and melted it on to the end of my rod. Then, I gathered clear glass over it, then the red frit, then more clear. The clear between the layers of color separates them. I really like how this piece turned out. It has really good form and a simple, but striking color scheme. I also like how the swirly glass on the inside and the red spots are random and chaotic, but they are reined in by the simple shape of the vase.




This is a really cool piece, I think. I beat out a piece of copper wire into a thin sheet and then cut it in a zig-zag pattern. I then made a softball-sized bubble of clear glass and rolled it in the copper to pick it up. Then, I heated the lip and spun it out, giving it the bowl shape and the scalloped edge. Copper turns all sorts of cool colors when encased in glass, usually red, so from the top, you can see all those subtle changes in color. When I took it out of the annealer, however, all the heat had given the exposed copper a black layer over it. First, I thought about polishing it off, but that was taking way too long and I wasn't getting into the little crooks and nannies, so I sandblasted the outside. The outside glass is frosted and the copper has a really nice matte finish on it.

This is that Pueblo vase that I made a while back, just in the "professional" setting. I sandblasted the mountains and the pueblo. Actually, the whole thing was black and I sandblasted the black away where the sky shows. You can still see some of where the black was on the top right near the lip.







This was a fun project. I welded the stairs and polished them, then I blew a long, thin blue bubble, got it hot, and draped it over the stairs, so it oozed down. Then I broke it off and annealed it. Meanwhile, I made the eyeballs like beads, but I made them on the very end of the mandrel, so the hole only goes about 1/4" into the eyeball. Then I epoxyed the wires into the eyeballs and the wires into the bottle. After that was all over, I epoxyed the little guy to his stairs. Nude descending a staircase?

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Very nice work Noah.

The Schauerhamers said...

Wow~ Sooo cool I love your work. I'm very impressed with what you can do. I'm always jealous of people that can do cool art work. So are you going to continue taking the class or does it go to the next level or what? Could you do this at home or do you have to have a ton of equipment. Just wondering. Feel free to blow us something. :)

Stacy said...

Very nice! When are we going to see you?

sara said...

I love your creativity. It looks like you have really enjoyed this class. You need to keep posting. We should be seeing you soon

Alan and Shelley said...

So what are you? A renaissance man? I think you have some good work there and I like all of it. I especially like the Pueblo vase. Are you selling any of it?

liz and dennis said...

i also love your work, every piece is either beautiful or clever or both. i do love the pueblo vase a lot. are you going to continue on with this?

Madison said...

wow, you are very talented, Noah. It's great that you're posting this so we can see your artwork.

Mike and Kate said...

that's my noah! I love the vase with the red blobs and the pueblo vas-varey daddy fred. Smooches